The Curtis Bay Towing Company was founded in 1910 starting with one tugboat named Curtis Bay, a former railroad tugboat built in 1890. The Curtis Bay Towing Company (originally the Curtis Bay Coal Company) and the Baker Whiteley Towing Company (part of the Baker-Whiteley Coal Company) served as the principal providers of marine towing services in Baltimore harbor until the mid 1980s when the Moran Towing Company took over Curtis Bay and the McAllister Towing Company took over Baker Whiteley. Over the years since their beginning Curtis Bay operated about 40 different tugboats.
The Curtis Bay tugboats, with their distinctive Blue Diamond logo, docked along Pratt Street in the inner harbor for many years but progress and increased shipping activity forced the maritime trades to move further out along the Patapsco River. Curtis Bay (as well as Rukert Terminals and Vane Brothers) moved a couple of miles away to the foot of Broadway in the Fellís Point area and their tugboats regularly docked on the west side of the Recreation Pier exactly where the Moran tugboats dock today.
In 1971 Curtis Bay had nine tugboats in Baltimore and regularly provided service to Delaware Bay, the C&D Canal, Philadelphia and Norfolk. Several of these tugboats were almost always docked along side Recreation Pier as in this scene where the tugboats Wagners Point, Drum Point, Carolyn, and Fells Point can be seen. Wagners Point and Carolyn are now gone, however, Drum Point and Fells Point continue to work under Moran colors. Fells Point works in Portsmouth, New Hampshire and Drum Point (with a state of the art upgrade as a Mortrac tug) works out of Norfolk.